Thursday, January 23, 2014

Mother's Day Easel Card

Since I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and try some new things, challenges are ideal for me.  They really push me to try projects that do not have anything to do with horses, barns, and country life!  (For those of you who enjoy that, don't fret; there'll be plenty of it!)  They also encourage me to try new construction in my crafting.

When I saw the easel card challenge over at MFP Speedy TV Challenge, I knew I wanted to give that a try.  I immediately went to YouTube and found these video tutorials on drawer'ed boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X2j6rzF90E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhBVTxXP7aI

Now for the paper selection.  Hmm.........what to choose.  I was over at Heart 2 Heart where I was inspired by the Two-Faced Challenge.  I had just received some new goodies from CTMH, so this inspired me to use some of those with both sides of a sheet of Chantilly paper.

I started with a piece of heavy, textured cardstock from Core'dinations.  I still wanted it more substantial.  I cut a piece of cardboard from a cereal box the same dimensions as the wrap around the drawer.  I glued them together and scored them.  This gave it more strength.  I made the drawer and embellished it with CTMH Floral Accents to look like drawer pulls.

I chose the theme of my card around the brooch from the CTMH Brocade Assortment.  This assortment is really pretty in 'real life.'  It is "while supplies last;" so if you are thinking about trying it, now is the time!

This is for my mother, so the other embellishments on the face of the card are from my daughter's recent wedding!  The beads were all used in headbands for the bridesmaids; the flower petal was pulled out of one of the pew markers still sitting in my house.  I can't seem to get rid of them, yet!  My friend made them and they were so beautiful!  Sorry, I have digressed, but you all knew it would happen!  The ribbon under the brooch was used on the tables and the backdrop for the cake table.  The blue gems were on the invitations.

I attached the clear and silver beads to a fine gague fishing line.  I ran the line through a hole that the flower is stuck into.  (Sorry for that preposition just sitting there at the end of the sentence -- couldn't find a better way to say that and make it clear!  Actually, I probably could if I sat here and thought about it, but.......) The little heart with the blue stone was an earring that was broken.  No one actually wore it in the wedding, but it was the right color!  Anyway, I ran fishing line through the wires and attached it in the same fashion.

The flower holding the easel in place is from the Floral accents.  The black with polka dots is the strip from the edge of the paper and the pink ribbon was in my stash--not from the wedding--but I thought it would tie in the pinks and reds of the print.

Hopefully, Mom won't check out my blog anytime soon, but if she does she still won't know what is going inside the drawer!





7 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift / easel. Thank you for showing this to us at FOSTV this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely easel gift box. Great idea and love the drawer.
    Thanks for playing along with us at Heart 2 Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE me some Chantilly...and I happen to love BOTH sides of this piece!!! Thanks for linking up to H2H and showing your two-faced creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful creation, with so much sentimental meaning! Thanks for being "two faced" with us @ H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When in doubt on what paper to be Two Faced with Chantilly is always a good choice! Very pretty card!Thanks for playing along at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your project is stunning! I love the Chantilly paper and your creation is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute card! Love the use of Chantilly. Thanks for joining us at H2H

    ReplyDelete