Saturday, August 5, 2023

Seriously Art Inspired


Time for a new challenge at The Outlawz Paper à la Mode and the theme is Seriously Art Inspired!  I chose to be inspired by the work of Louis Wain.  I found him very interesting and wanted to get inside his head.  So, I thought, 'What better way than to copy one of his paintings?'  It was a very fun experiment/exercise for me!  You might have fun trying it.

The issue is...I don't draw or paint!  So...

The above piece is a Copic Coloring partially designed in Cricut Design Space (video below) and finished with some drawing.  The piece directly below is a layout in my art journal. (This 2nd piece is actually the first one I did, but then as I researched I couldn't find any sites to verify it truly IS a Louis Wain.  Prints of this are sold under his name, but I couldn't verify it.) Both pieces were started in Cricut Design Space!  


Trust me I DO NOT DRAW; so, this had to be a "piece together" in Cricut Design Space with some easy sketching!  ;)  (This is NOT AI; that's a whole different thing!) If you are wondering how I did this, check out the video below; I also show you how I finished the layout. 


*   *   *

Ready for your art history lesson?  

 Louis Wain 1860 - 1939.  This man loved cats and drew the funkiest cats in the wildest colors!  He did several cartoon style cats as well as vivid artsy ones.  He was known to draw with both hands at the same time!  Wow!

Here's an excerpt from Artnet Louis Wain was a British artist best known for his bizarre paintings and prints of anthropomorphized cats playing golf or having tea. “He has made the cat his own. He invented a cat style, a cat society, a whole cat world,” the author H.G. Wells said of Wain.  ...  He was diagnosed with schizophrenia as an adult and spent much of his childhood truant from school wandering the streets of London. He went on to study at the West London School of Art. Wain’s obsession with cats stemmed from an emotionally intense period of his life. During this time, his wife who was dying from cancer, was comforted when Wain brought her home a stray kitten they named Peter. Peter was the subject of Wain’s first cat drawings and the impetus to his later work. 

You might enjoy visiting ** Louis Wain's Cryptic Cats at Welcome Collection or reading ** This Article at Smithsonian Magazine.  

I found "The Electrical Life of Louis Wain" to be an exceptional movie and can be found on Amazon Prime if you are interested!  There are also several YouTube videos documenting Wain's art and Life; click the links to view!  This is just a sampling.

Here are the Louis Wain art pieces that inspired me and a photo of Mr Wain.  **All photos are from the web.  Sources listed above.  Photo of Mr Wain from BBC.com.


Material List:
X-Press it Paper
Copic Markers
Cricut Design Space (see video for more information)
pencil
White Gel Pen
Imagination and Inspirational Art as reference for style

Added Materials for Layout
Leaves cut from CDS
Gold Paint
Photo paper
Glitter Paper from Stash
Scraps of Digi Paper Vectoria Designs
Ribbon
Adhesives: Fabri-Tac; ATG
Cricut Design Space: Design; Print Then Cut; 
Cricut Access: Shapes 
Cricut Standard Mat
Cricut Maker

My project is off to the following challenges:
Critter Crazy:  AG w/Featured Critter
Crafty Animals:  AG featuring an animal
Crazy for Cats:  Anything Cat Goes
Outlawz Sunday Song & Rhyme:  "leaves hang trembling"
Carlin's Card Paradise:  Begins with Letter 'a'  ~ Animal Art
Craft Rocket:  Animals

Be sure to visit  The Outlawz Paper a la Mode 
for all the details about the challenge and 
to check out all the creative inspiration from the DT and participants!

Thanks for stopping by!  Make yourself at home and feel free to peruse other posts/pages, leave a comment, and/or check out my Pinterest and YouTube Channel.   

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining in our challenge this month with your wonderful project!
    DT – Val, Nan, Leigh, Catherine x
    https://creativeinspirationchallenges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing and so beautiful!
    Thanks so much for joining in at my Crafty Wednesday challenge this month!
    Ellie
    Ellibelle's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow, wow, wow... this is just amazing! What fab colours and colouration. AWESOME!!!

    Thanks for playing along with our Challenge at Critter Crazy and good luck!

    Hugs and please come back soon!
    Doris
    Kleido’s BastelStüble
    *Owner* Do-Al(l) Kreatives
    *Owner*Critter Crazy Challenges
    *DT* Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing, AND you have introduced me, as a Brit, to a British artist I had never heard of, what wonderful work and brilliant interpretation of his work. I admire you could paint this in the Cricut Design Space, I use PS, so know it's not AI and takes a lot of work to get it right. Love what you have done. Thank you so much for joining us in our challenge at Critter Crazy Challenge this week. Good Luck. I hope to see you again in our next challenge.
    Faith A DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy I could share this artist with you! Actually, I didn't color it in CDS, I "laid out" the image in pieces to Copic color. I admire those, like you, who can work with PS! That is such a cool way to color pieces! Thanks for your comment! : )

      Delete
  5. Lovely card. Thank you for joining the challenge at Outlawz Sunday Songs and Rhymes. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous piece. Love it and love cats. Thank you for sharing with us over at Morgan's ArtWorld. Love to see you join in each month.
    ~ Gail CT

    ReplyDelete