Thursday, February 13, 2014

Color My Heart on Valentine's Day!


Highlighting a Windy Day!


Colors this week are Juniper, Blush and Sorbet!
This week I have the honor of being a Guest Designer at Color My Heart Challenge Blog!  I really enjoy Blog Challenges and I doubly love the challenges where I get to show off the Close To My Heart products!  Color My Heart is a fun challenge blog where the challenge revolves around  colors of the week and CTMH goodies.  For a full list of guidelines, come on over to Color My Heart.  Then create, link up, and play along!  The colors this week are Juniper, Blush, and Sorbet.  For me, these colors were screaming SPRING!

For this card I chose to highlight a few of the new products available from the Spring/Summer Idea Book.  The little cutie flying her kite, as well as all other stamping, is from the new stamp set Windy Day.  (This set also includes other sentiments and a little guy flying his kite!)  This sweet little one is colored with CTMH Blush markers.  The jacket is the darker of the two pens; the skirt is the light marker.  I used Whisper for the shoes.  The hair, skin, and bobbin for the kite string were colored with the Copic skin tone collection.  The cloud and girl were stamped with CTMH Archival Black ink.  The cloud was outline with the light Whisper marker.  The sentiment was stamped with Juniper, and the grass was lightly sponged with Juniper.

Another new item is the fun Dot Embossing Folder.  I find embossing can be a subtle way to add texture.  See top picture.
  
The kite (Sorbet color) and 'flags' on the kite tail were cut from Sorbet and Blush.  The border on the front of the card and more kite 'flags' were cut from whimsical Juniper Polka Dot from the Lollydoodle collection. The kite is part of the stamp set; however, the little 'flags' and the border on the front were cut from the CTMH Cartridge, Artbooking.  

Now, this is the year of "getting out of my box" and trying new to me techniques.  This card is no exception to that.  This is the first time I stitched on a card.  I used some pink embroidery floss for the kite string and tail.  I punched the holes using the tip of the piercing tool in the pattern I wanted to stitch.  I "free-handed" it, but CTMH does have a stitch guide to help make those precise!  I then stitched using skip and back stitches.  If you are unsure of this, CTMH actually has a video on how to do it!  Here it is:  Video.  Did you know there are many videos put out by CTMH?

Tip:  When stitching on cards, remember to plan ahead to cover the back so the stitching doesn't show!  I hid the stitching by folding back the right and left panels and then adhering them.

Finally, I embellished with a ribbon from my stash that matched the Sorbet color.

I liked this card; however, I wanted to remake it for a special birthday using more of the Juniper color because that is the recipient's favorite color!  So, here is the remake version -- very much a variation on a theme, but this time I left it open on the left hand panel to be a tri-fold of sorts.

Interested in finding out more about any of these great new products? Check out ScrappyHorses for the Spring/Summer Idea Book, videos, and great new promotions!

A huge thank you to everyone at Color My Heart for this fun opportunity to share my card with you this week!


13 comments:

  1. OMG, what a creative card! I don't have the patience to do the stitching, but it sure makes this card! Love the creative fold as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angelina! Actually, the stitching didn't take that long....but then again I was one of those kids who did sewing in 4-H. Loved 4-H, hated sewing at the time, though! Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
    2. Well thank goodness for 4-H in that case! You did a wonderful job Katrina!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous card, Katrina! I love the spring scene you created with the girl and the kite. Great coloring and fun stitching add so much to this card. You did an amazing job as our Guest Designer for the Color Dare this week and we appreciate it! Thanks for being a frequent and very talented player at Color My Heart Color Dare!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! I always enjoy the challenges at Color My Heart; the projects from the DT and other contributors are always so creative. Lots of inspiration for new ways to use all the CTMH products!

      Delete
  3. Hi Katrina. This card is spectacular! I love the stitching. You did a wonderful job with your coloring too! Thank you for guest designing for us this week at Color My Heart!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! It was fun to share since I have benefitted so many times from shared projects of others! Loved the opportunity!

      Delete
  4. Your card is beautiful, and your coloring is just incredible! I love how you used this stamp set. I'll be honest, when I first saw the stamp set, I dismissed it because I didn't think I'd use it on my layouts. Thank you for showing us a way to use it on cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morgan! I was thinking the same thing, but I was attracted to its "cuteness" and got it anyway! It's funny how many times I fall in love with a stamp and think I'll use it and then seldom do and then there are those I'm "on the fence" about purchasing and I use them all the time!

      Delete
  5. This is darling...absolutely DARLING. Thanks for being our guest designer at Color My Heart this week. You rocked the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! This card was fun for me. I'm truly inspired by Spring this year; I'm ready to put away all the snow and holiday papers. I think everyone is!

      Delete
  6. So, so pretty! Thanks for sharing your wonderful work as our Color Dare DT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable card! Love how you incorporated the kite.

    ReplyDelete