Sunday, August 10, 2014

Why ScrappyHorses?


I'm very excited to share my first post as a Design Team member with Exploring Cricut and More!  I thought it might be fun to share how ScrappyHorses got its name.  

I started out adult life as an oboist, but my second child brought many changes to my life.  If you want more details you can read this post, but I will tell you he dragged his dad and me into barn life kicking and screaming!  

After moving out to the country, ten years of 4-H Horse and Pony, and coaching the Hippology team I decided I needed to do something with the knowledge I had acquired.  I became a therapeutic horsemanship instructor the summer before Keith's senior year of HS.  I taught for a year in another program and then decided to develop my program called PATCH by Design.  Our old show horse is sort of the founder of my program.  His name is Just Like Design.  

Now we don't really have any show horses at this point, they really are all sort of ........well..... they're either young, old, or just ...... uh........scrappy!  And there it is!!  ScrappyHorses!  It just seemed perfect for a paper crafting blog!

Wow, that was a long story to get to the name, but you'll find that I often meander and go off on random tangents!

Anyway, this card is for one of my students who had a birthday last week!  Here are the particulars.


I made a fold card in Design Space with the first page shorter than the second.  I cut a 3rd panel shorter than the first page, but a little longer.  I scored about 1/2 inch from the edge.  I folded that over.  Before I adhered the green over the middle panel, I inserted the 1/2 inch tab under the green card stock.  This created the far right panel of the card.

I used papers and card stock from the CTMH Lollydoodle collection (now retired) to decorate.  The cardstock is Pear and White Daisy.  The chevron pattern was done using the CTMH In the Background stamp, Pear pigment ink and clear embossing powder.

Happy Birthday was stamped with the CTMH Joyful Birthday stamp in Barn Red and the sentiment inside the card is from CTMH Art Philosophy stamp in Pear pigment ink.  

The horseshoe was cut from a cereal box and Saddle cardstock; this makes it thicker to hold my front panel in place.  This image is from Create a Critter.  I used pigment ink and silver embossing powder to give it texture.  I adhered it with 3-Dimensional Tape on the left side and the very top of the right side.  This gives me room to tuck in the panel and keep it closed.

Now for the star of the card!  That cute little horse is from Four Legged Friends!  I think he is adorable!  Ok, I have to ramble a bit here..... I just got my Cricut Explore about a month ago.  I still have the free subscription to the majority of the cuts.  I'm getting to use cuts from everywhere and I'm really enjoying that!

Ok, back to the horse.  I used Saddle Brown, Daisy White, and Champagne cardstock.  I used a glitter pen to give the mane and tail some texture.  His eyes are Mocha gems (sadly retired!).  I used a black marker to color his hooves.

If you are interested in the cut file for this card, click here or type: https://us.cricut.com/design#/canvas/project/19212356




Have a wonderful Sunday and remember to check in at Exploring Cricut and More tomorrow for a new challenge!

Check out KatiesCorner for the new CTMH Idea Book and papers.  They are really amazing!


5 comments:

  1. LOVE this, Katrina! So darned cute! Love the tri-fold and how clever to use the horseshoe to tuck in that 3rd panel. Loved reading about how you started your "barn life". I always dreamed of living on a ranch but sadly my kids didn't have the love to drag us there, lol! The horse came out so darling. Love all the little touches you gave it to make it extra special! I'm jealous that you have the Explore. I hope to get one soon, until then I have my SCAL2 to use with my Cricut Expression. Hope you have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Katrina!! That horse is just darling. Great horseshoe, too. Loved reading about how you started your program. I'm sure it is so very rewarding.
    I also want to welcome you once again to our Exploring Cricut and More's Design Team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an adorable card. I'm so impressed with the "regular job" you have. Thanks for sharing how your blog name came about. So clever and unique to you. P.S. We have an equine program in our county for children that suffer from illnesses, etc. My cousin, now full-grown with 2 small children of her own, was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 2. I remember this program reaching out to her family and offering her free horse rides and such. She loved it; I've never forgotten this organization's generosity and how they put a smile back on this little girl's face so long ago. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, cute. I like the 3 level trifold. I'll have to try this, it gives more space to decorate, but it's not complicated like some of the fold cards I've seen. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete