Monday, May 6, 2019

Teachers and Admiration



Admiration is the new optional theme over at Path of Positivity!  When I think of admiration, my first thoughts go to teachers ~ always have and probably always will since I come from a line of educators and several in my family have continued this love/passion.  We have it covered from Early Childhood Development to college ...even reform/correctional school!  It all started back in the 1920's with my grandma who was the first college educated in her family and she went on to teach at White's Institute, a reform school for boys.  This was one tough woman who used her brain and braun for the good!  

My cousin and her husband are both incredibly talented college music professors and their son is a history teacher. 

In my real life, not to be confused with my horse or craft life, (hahaha) I teach music in the private sector and my daughter has a degree and worked in Early Childhood Development before moving on to Library Science where she teaches Sign Language.  

Now, the inspiration for this piece is actually my sister.  This woman is, at times, my grandma all over again!  She is tough with a heart that goes out to the kids who really are in need.  She knows how to reach those students who no one else will/can.  I admire her tenacity and willingness to go waaaay above and beyond what many will for students who just can't find their way due to learning disabilities, home challenges, prejudice, or just plain bad luck.  

My sis actually moved in to an old one room school house built back in the early 1900's!  It is such a great house and I wanted to make something special for her.  
*   *   *   
So.... here's a little about this piece.
I printed this nostalgic image, Vintage Teacher, from A Day for Daisies on a rectangle measuring approximately 5x6 inches.  I Copic colored the image and sponged the wall.  I did add some faint texture to the teacher's blouse using a texture stamp.  The floor was done with a retired stamp from CTMH.  I distressed with Chocolate ink and adhered this to a pice of dark brown paper.  

Cricut Die Cuts 
Rulers:  CTMH Artbooking
School Handbell:  School Day Icons 
Books Label Tag:  Wrap It Up

Papers  
Script:  Retired from CTMH
Dark Brown Backgrounds: Colorbok Veranda 
Other paper from stash

Other Embellishments
Ribbon:  Retired CTMH
We R Memory Keepers Wide Eyelets
CTMH Glitz Glitter Gel  (probably retired)   
Frame:  Better Homes and Gardens Distressed White

This tribute is off to the following challenges:
Crafting with an Attitude:  AG
We Love 2 Create:  AG/Mixed Media
A Vintage Journey:  Book IT:  I was inspired by the "Little House on the Prairie" Series
Crafter's Cafe:  Use dies and/or punches
Simon Says:  Add Something Metallic  (metal eyelets)
Use Your Stuff:  Tags or Frames

Be sure to come on 
over to 
and see 
what the team 
thinks about Admiration!  
You can also find 
more information 
about entering 
the challenge!  

Thanks to our 

wonderful sponsors this month:


and



Thanks for stopping by!  Make yourself at home and feel free to peruse other posts/pages, leave a comment, and/or check out my Pinterest and YouTube Channel.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece for your sister and I enjoyed your lovely family story here as well! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful inspiration piece and so well coloured. Thanks for playing along at USE YOUR STUFF - Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful work of art and i"m sure your sister will love it! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Use Your Stuff! -Lori DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. You put alot of heart in this art project! You thought of your family which is so sweet! Love it
    https://heartnsoul-amy.blogspot.com/2019/05/book-it-challenge-vintage-journey.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun piece and very thoughtful! I love how it all came together. Being an (ex) teacher myself, I know exactly where you are coming from :o)

    Thanks so much for adding this to our challenge at A Vintage Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story for such a wonderful tribute! xoxo

    ReplyDelete