Sunday, February 3, 2019

Courage in Bible Journaling


Today I worked on some Bible Journaling with this beautiful stamp from Duff's Designs (retired). 

  Now I've done some faith journaling in another book, but decided to get a bible just for art journaling.  I don't know why it was so hard for me to actually put medium to Bible page in the past, but it was!  I guess I had those fears of needing it to be perfect if it goes in a Bible, but then I started thinking about all the music I have studied.  The more I study and practice a piece, the more marks there are in the music.  

Ok, why shouldn't my Bible be the same way?  If I'm truly trying to study and understand, maybe there should be "marks" in my Bible!  If those marks are art, stamping, colors, written ideas, or any other creative medium, it must be fine if it's bringing meaning to me.  And guess what, God already knows it isn't going to be perfect.  So, I asked myself, "What's holding you back?  Get to it if this is what you want to do!"

Anyway,  about this page...
I love this stamp and thought the sentiment was perfect with this verse 
I Chronicles 28:20.  "Be strong and courageous, and do the work."  Yeah, that works for me!  The sentiment about strength seemed to sum it all up for me:

Strength
doesn't come
from what
you can do
It comes from 
overcoming 
the things
you once
thought
you couldn't  

*   *   *   

I started by page prepping with Liquitex Gel Medium.  I used 2 coats on the side I was coloring.  I stamped the image with CTMH Cocoa Pigment ink.  I used watercolors to fill in this image.  (I recently purchased a "card" of Daniel Smiths Water colors from Blicks to try out and they are wonderful!  This is a great way to try them out and see if you like them before investing a lot of money.  You also get to try a lot of colors!)   I stamped the sentiment with Memento Black and drew barbed wire around the corners and underneath with gel pens.  

The verse was highlighted with a CTMH Watercolor pencil.  

Nothing bled through and the wrinkling wasn't too bad either.  I did iron on very low heat after the prep and again when finished.  I would say the wrinkling was less than when I did not prep the page on my first entry.  

I'm sharing with the following challenges/pages: 

2 Crafty Critter Crazies:  AG with a Critter
Crafty Animals:  AG with an animal

Thanks for stopping by!  Make yourself at home and feel free to peruse other posts/pages, leave a comment, and/or check out my Pinterest and YouTube Channel.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you entered your Bible journaling page.....I love it. I would love to see more of that in my challenges. I love the message that came with it. You are not the only one that couldn't do your journaling/art in the Bible. I wouldn't even highlight or take notes in my Bible. But we found a My Creative Bible that has large margins and drawings and I decided I would look at it as a Bible coloring book. My husband was hesitant to buy it for me because he didn't believe I would actually color in it....but he got it for me and I am enjoying it. Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Crafter's Castle this month....good luck :)
    Hugs... Janie
    DT
    Crafter's Castle
    crafterscastle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Bible Journaling! You did an amazing job with the coloring! Thank you for joining the Crafter’s Castle’s February Challenge! –Tasha ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always felt like I want to treat God's word with respect, and not change it. I saw kids drawing on, cutting, ripping, etc. a Bible when I was about 5 or 6, and it made an impression on me. Their mom allowed them to--I'm sure they had quite a few Bibles, and this one was not used. I underline my Bible, but only the things that I really want to remember, so it isn't full of marks. It's a kooky hangup of mine. Anyway, my friend bought me a special Bible to decorate, but I have only done one page. It seems so important, but I need to just get to it if I'm going to do it. I really love how you decorated yours, and like that the color is see-through. I've seen some decorations that obscure Scripture--and I'm not sure what the point is....I wouldn't want to do that. Thanks for showing us your wonderful work, and your words... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful ting for your journaling Bible, Katrina! I don't have one but if I did, I might actually get started on on some decorating. I'm a bit like Sharon G, I guess. :-D Time for a DT hat - Thanks so much for joining us at 2 Crafty Critter Crazies this month and good luck. Hope to see you playing again.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for playing along with us this month. Lisa DT Crafty Animals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect words to suit the quote you chose. I agree wholeheartedly about messing up your bible (that's what I like to call it) - it's a Work In Progress and art is evidence of that. Great page and inspiration for me, personally. Thank you.
    Cath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the stamped image! Thanks for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenge!

    ReplyDelete