Wednesday, November 20, 2013

It's Gonna' be a Full House!

I'm so excited to make this card because it is a shower card for a couple who are adopting not 1, not 2, but 3 children!

It has been quite a change for my friends going from just the two of them to a full house!  They have been fostering the family for over a year and finally their dreams have come true!

When I saw the challenge at Heart 2 Heart to do a game inspired card, the idea of a poker hand - full house - came to mind.

I chose Aces over 3's to symbolize each of them being alone and joining to make a couple.  They met at a club and then he gave her a diamond!  The 3's represent the two beautiful girls and one cute little guy.

Ok, this is a bit involved, but I'll do my best to explain what I did.  I started in CCR and combined the 5 rectangles from CTMH Artiste Cartridge into a "card hand shape."  I copy/pasted that and then flipped it.  I joined the two and that made the card base!  I then separated the 5 cards and welded in the A's, 3's, hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades.  I put scrap red and black under the cut outs.  They are all cut from the Artiste Cartridge, also.

The banner is cut from the Artiste cartridge.  Now here's the thing, it's not a banner; it's a cupcake wrapper!  I wanted something in the arch sort of shape and that is what I found.  So, I cut it and then made my changes.  The stamp set is Happy Alphabet CTMH.

The poker chips are cut from Artbooking.  To get the ridges around them, I masked the middle and stamped with the middle stamp of the CTMH My Sunshine set.  I would think with all the stamps in my drawers I would have had one to print ridges around circles, but I had to improvise!  It seems I'm never using my cuts or stamps for their intended use...........  Sitting here looking at the picture of the stamp set makes me want to do something with that cute little bird.  Hmmm.......

But I have digressed, as usual!

I used Ruby, Colonial White, and Black cardstock.  I'm not sure of the yellow color (might be Buttercup) and the blue was a scrap of textured cardstock.  My ink colors were Star Spangled Blue (old color, not sure what that would translate to now -- maybe Outdoor Denim?), Cranberry pigment, and Whisper pigment.

Check out KatiesCorner for the latest in Close To My Heart!  There are great tutorials as well as wonderful products!

4 comments:

  1. HI Katrina, Thanks for the very kind comment on Winter Wonderland. I appreciate your visit & taking time to leave a comment. Good luck in the random draw too! Zipped over to see your blog, and oh my goodness, what an extra special card you've created. Interesting read through your description. I have a cricut & a silhouette, don't really know how to use either one of 'em. Loved your thoughts on the reason for this card, and you've done a beautiful job carrying through your thoughtful idea. TFS & please come visit again if/when you have time. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card and I love the 'full house' play on the adoption. You are a good friend! Thank you for joining us at H2H

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card for such a sweet family! You certainly got your game on with us @ H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever you are!!!! And congratulations to your friends! Thanks for linking up to H2H's "Game On" Challenge!

    ReplyDelete