Friday, September 4, 2015

Hey, Marching Band is a Sport........sort of!


Our challenge over at Cut It Up is to create a sports inspired project.  Now, I have to admit, I have never really played a sport.  My kids didn't play traditional sports.  (Keith did ride horses and do equestrian sports.) My husband didn't play sports.  My nephew doesn't play sports.  You get the picture.  The closest thing I've got in my background is marching band!

Ok, this might be a stretch for some of you, but here's my story!

When I was studying oboe at Jordan College of Fine Arts I had to write a Senior term paper.  I wrote it on how oboists and bassoonists should all be excused from HS Marching Band because our instruments are not appropriate for an outside marching sport!  We should instead be given the option to play chamber music for the marching season!  

Much to my dismay, my paper was given to the former marching band director for review/grading.  The paper caused some issues and I was asked if I would like to submit another paper.  I quickly said, "No, I stand behind the idea Marching Band is a sport and not music!  Oboes, bassoons, and French horns are designed for making music and not sports!"

My paper went back to the board and was graded.  

I will add when I was in HS our director didn't march the double reeds, but we had to play a different instrument or do auxiliary corps.  Yee gads, I hated it!  I wanted to be in practicing my oboe and not out on the field playing, I should say pretending to play, alto sax.  My private oboe teacher at the time told me NOT TO STICK THAT THING IN MY FACE!  So, I didn't.  He continued to ask me if I had ever learned not to walk around with something in my mouth.  I had to laugh at that one!

So, here is my project for Sports theme at Cut It Up!  It's a sweatshirt for my nephew to wear to his marching band practices!

The trumpet cut is from Quarter Notes cartridge and the Letters are from Plantin School Book.  I used Cricut Iron-on Vinyl.

Ok, marching band IS a sport.........that's my story and I'm sticking to it......again!  ; )

So, what's your story about sports?  I'm sure you have a much more traditional sports inspired project to share with us at Cut It Up!  Our sponsor is One Happy Cut.

Thanks for stopping by today!  Check back with me again; you never know what I might be rambling on about next time you visit!  In the meantime, make yourself at home and visit other pages and posts, do some shopping, leave a comment, or contact me.......unless of course, you are a marching band director!  ; )



4 comments:

  1. Great Story! Perfect Shirt for your Nephew! I'm sure he really appreciated you taking the time to make this for him!

    Theresa
    Theresa’s Crafty Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shirt and great story!!! Have a great day.
    Gerda

    ReplyDelete